"Pirate of My Heart" Mini Review

"Pirate of My Heart"
by Jamie Carie

Publisher: B&H Fiction
Release Date: Sept 1, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher and First Wild Card Tours

My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  


When her doting father dies, Lady Kendra Townsend is given a choice: marry the horrid man of her cold, money-grubbing uncle's choosing or leave England to risk a new life in America with unknown relatives. Armed with the faith that God has a plan for her, Kendra boards a cargo ship and meets American sea captain Dorian Colburn. But the captain has been wounded by a woman before and guards his independent life. A swashbuckling man doesn't need an English heiress to make him slow down, feel again, or be challenged with questions about his faith-or so he thinks. It is not until Dorian must save Kendra from the dark forces surrounding her that he decides she may be worth the risk.

My Mini Review:

I had high hopes for this book, the cover looks so exciting, and the title sounds like a great adventure as well. However, this book read more like an outline or very first draft of an exciting story. The plot and characters were pretty interesting, but they just weren't developed. Everything happened really abruptly, without a lot of explanation. Also, the book was written in an elementary fashion, there wasn't a lot happening below the surface.

The plot that held my attention the most had to do with Angelene (I've never seen the name spelled this way before), the other woman vying for Dorian's attentions. I liked seeing Kendra's jealousy come out, and right fully so, haha!  But it was never taken too far, you could always tell Dorian saw Angelene only as a hassle and never as any threat to his relationship with Kendra.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 3/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 3/5



Bottom Line: This book has the bare bones of a good story, but needs to be developed a lot more to make it great.

6 comments

  1. Oh, shame! I had hoped this would be awesome. I appreciate your honesty though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, it sounds like this book was only so-so.
    :(
    It looked interesting, with the cover and all :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Such a bummer! The cover does look mighty cute!

    Lisa Jo @ Once Upon A Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise reminds me of another book that I can't think of right now. I really hate when characters are underdeveloped :( Love your honesty. Hopefully your next read will be more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I read the description and looked at the cover and actually felt like I wouldn't mind reading this book. It kind of sucks that the story and characters weren't that well developed but I think I'd love to see how the relationship was handled. I also love how you break down your review ratings, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice short review :)
    I am pretty meh about the book though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!