"After Obsession" Review

"After Obsession"
by Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel


Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: Sept 13, 2011 
Source: ARC sent by publisher

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  

Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.

Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession.

My Review:

This book was a scary mystery set in a small town high school. It read a lot like 'regular' contemporary YA fiction, yet there were a lot of scary and paranormal YA elements too.

Honestly, most people probably won't find this book as scary as I did, but I'm really not a fan of reading about possession or exorcisms. To others, the book will probably be 'just creepy.' I honestly hadn't read the blurb closely enough to realize it was about possession, or I would have passed on the book for that reason. But I assumed (shame on me) this was another vamp/witch/werewolf/zombie paranormal.

It wasn't just Courtney who felt the effects of the possession, the townspeople were slowly becoming more and more evil. Their bad sides were becoming more magnified everyday. This added another very scary element of the story-domestic abuse.

The story was told in alternating points of view, one chapter in Aimee's voice, the next in Alan's voice. I think this made the book read very quickly. Alan's character was Native American and I enjoyed reading abut the supernatural parts of his heritage.


Main Characters: 3/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 3/5

Romance: 3/5

Uniqueness: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Writing: 4/5



Bottom Line:A good choice for fans of YA paranaormals, but only if you're not bothered by demons and possessions.

Here's a look at the book trailer:

9 comments

  1. I see possession and think Exorcist. Yikes chills going up my spine AGAIN! thanks now will go to sleep with night light ON ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my shelf waiting to be read, and I really want to get to it soon! Great thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...I don't think I can handle this one. I'm already a scaredy cat, and anything with demons/possession FREAKS ME OUT! This is just me and my personal Christian bias, but I feel like that's something not to be messed around with, you know? I love Carrie Jones, though. Wish she'd written about something not quite so spooky. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool cover! And I like the scary part, I do not think I read enough books with a bit of scare in them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds intriguing and eerie, especially the possession aspect. Nice honest review, Carrie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scary books, especially around this time of year. I haven't really read a good scary book in quite some time will certainly check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the cover I didn't think the book would be quite so scarey until I saw the trailer.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes- I think I will skip this one- I am such a baby with scary books. Seriously. I get nightmares, so it sounds like this one would freak me out. I still can't watch the Exorcist...ha. Thank you for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't really scared by this book and I thought the domestic abuse came out of NOwhere. But, as you've seen my review, you know I didn't like it as much as you did. I thought that Alan's interest in his Navajo heritage had the potential to be interesting...Wedel just didn't pull it off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!